Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Never-ending Improvement.


Sunday, June 17th.

          We went to a meeting yesterday for the Global Outreach missionaries who live in Jinja and the surrounding villages, and we met at an Academy in Jinja. The school is right on the Nile River, and it was beautiful! We were leaving, and I saw a sign on one of the school doors that said, “The biggest room we have here is for improvement.” I don’t know who put this sign up, when it was put up, what it was for, I don’t know anything about it, but it caught my attention. At first I was like, “That’s really clever and funny.” When I started to really think about it though, I realized that those words are so true about my own life. I can always improve, I will never be getting it totally right, and I will never be perfect.

            I am human. I am not entitled to anything in this life, especially perfection, and I cannot expect others to be. I am a weak human being. My thoughts are weak, my actions are weak, my love is weak. And that’s why Jesus Christ is so beautiful. He says to Paul in 2 Corinthians 12 that His power is made perfect in Paul’s weakness. I believe God was speaking to all believers. His grace is sufficient for me, so I should boast in my weakness. God’s love, power, and grace are made perfect in my weakness. That is such a difficult thing for my mind to wrap around. God is the only strong part about our lives, and He is the only one who can give us strength, so I think we must be weak in order to see that God’s power is greater.

            Being weak is not a fun feeling, but it is humbling, and when I read 2 Corinthians 12, I feel strengthened. I am reminded of my weakness, just as Paul was, but through that, I am strong. Paul says in verse 10, “For the sake of Christ, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” This is just like what Paul talks about in Philippians 4. He says he is content in whatever situation. I pray for that everyday, that I would be content in my life no matter the situation.

            Nothing is more important than God being glorified, lifted up, and honored through our lives. That should be our daily prayer.




Empty me of myself Lord, and fill me up with more of You.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashley, See you are already an Auntie! You are such a blessing to these children and help to the workers. Keep it up! A great summer for you will not translate into what some may call a "fun" summer but will rather be rich in the deep things of God's love as you give yourself away.

    ReplyDelete