Tuesday, June 12, 2012

So many things in such little time!

There is SO much to tell you, and it has only been 4 days in Africa! Where to begin...

Plane ride was.. eh. Haha I felt sick most of the time, so that was unpleasant, but I didn't throw up so, success! I did not get my luggage right away, so I was "that" person asking to borrow everything for the first day. I got it Sunday though, so that was good.

Saturday when we arrived at GSF (Good Shepherd's Fold), all the kids and staff greeted us with big smiles and dancing! I wish I had taken a picture, but I was just so excited and overwhelmed with smiling children that it was not possible. They had grass skirts for us to put on! So random and cool. We went to our house and set out our stuff and then just played with some of the kids.

So far we have had orientation, meetings, prayer meetings, bible studies, playtime, etc... Here are a few highlights. :)

Sunday: We danced in church. Enough said. Seriously though, praise and worship was so cool; we sang songs in English and Lugandan, and everyone was dancing and laughing and just praising Jesus. I helped with junior church, and we played Capture the Flag. Haha, apparently it's a Ugandan thing for kids to leave after the music and testimony time is over and go play. I did not actually play, but I got to sit with a few of the village girls that come to church. Their names were Pierce, Sandra, and Caro. They didn't speak much English, but we just sat and enjoyed each other's presence. The GSF girls helped me out with some Lugandan words to say to the village girls, so that was fun. I really want to learn more about the villages around the area.

Monday: We had prayer meeting with the other missionary staff, and God showed me so much. Robb Warfield, one of the missionaries here, read Psalm 33:13-22 and I was just so convicted. It talks about how God is in control all the time and we as His people cannot save ourselves.

"The king is not saved by his great army... the war horse is a false hope for salvation and by it's great might it cannot rescue... Our soul waits for the Lord; He is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in Him, because we trust in His holy name. Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us, even as we hope in You."

                I had just been feeling very inadequate about the work we will be doing here at GSF, and I hate feeling like that, but I was reminded that feeling inadequate is a good place to be. God supplies and helps and controls, not me. I was put here for a reason, so God will prepare me, but I cannot think that any of this is my doing. It was exactly what I needed to hear.
                I didn't have much work to do except for sending an email, so I got to help pass out the new clothes to all the kids! That was SO exciting and fun! Their faces lit up when they saw that they had new clothes and shoes. They get these things, but it has been about a year since they all had completely new outfits.

Tuesday: I began work on our sponsorship program here at GSF. This is my specific area for the summer, so I will be handling the letter writing from the kids to their sponsors, and getting their yearly update and current pictures sent stateside to be sent to their sponsors. Right now I am just emailing and making lists, so it's not much work, but it's fun.
                One of the things we get to do here at GSF this summer is work with a few special needs kids each. Today I took Tom, who is nonverbal, on a walk. It was hard to communicate obviously, but he listens well and he likes walks. We went down to the road and the playground and picked grass. He likes grass. I am excited to spend more time with him, and maybe a couple of other special needs kids!
                 The rest of the day was spent playing on the playground and hanging out with the kids. All of them wake up early to do chores, then they have school at 8. Some get out right before lunch, which is at 1, and some stay til later in the afternoon. Then we get to play! So fun.

One thing I did want to mention about sponsorship was this: Most of GSF's support comes from sponsorship, and we are low on sponsors. Sponsoring a child at GSF is beneficial not only to the child, but to GSF as well. I encourage you if you feel led to sponsor a child at GSF! For more information, here is the link to the sponsorship page!

That was a super long post, I apologize. Thanks for reading though, I am so honored. :) Love you all!

4 comments:

  1. So excited to read your post! Can tell you are totally in your element there and GSF will be so blessed by you and you by them! So glad you had time to blog...can't wait to read more! Love you bunches and praying for you daily!!

    Na-Na

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley it was great reading your blog. I will be praying for you and can't wait to see what the Lord does through you. I'll be watching for more blogs. Toni Slane

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that God is showing up and continually teaching you and even more thankful that you continue to listen to Him!! When I read your blog I can actually hear you talking - ninety to nothin'!!! :)
    Can't wait to read more and see more pictures!!
    I love you more than you will ever know and I miss you so much, but I know it's just for a few weeks and it WILL be ok!!!
    Till next time.....xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,
    I love your spirit in MANY ways - - spirit for the Lord, spirit for his ministry, spirit for kids, spirit for listening to what the Lord is telling you, spirit of willingness, spirit of knowing that it is not you, but the Lord who is doing the work.....and your spirit of writing! You are a beautiful girl who loves the Lord and her family...and those two things are such an awesome blessing to see!! Thank you for sharing, please continue, and know that you NEVER have to apologize for long Blogs... God bless you in ALL that you do! I'm praying for you! :) - Debby Moore

    ReplyDelete